Date: 18th May 2019
Buddha Purnima, also called as Vesak day marks the birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism. The day also commemorates two other significant events in the life of Gautama Buddha, His enlightenment and His death.
Buddha Purnima, as the name suggests, is observed on ‘Purnima’ (full moon day) in the month of Vaisakh as per Hindu calendar.
Buddha Purnima Timings:
Purnima Tithi Begins = 04:10 on 18/May/2019
Purnima Tithi Ends = 02:41 on 19/May/2019
Buddha Purnima Rituals:
Buddha Purnima or Vesak shows calmness. It tells us to follow a path of honesty, a simple life and unselfishness, as was laid by Gautama Buddha.
1. Followers of Buddha visit Buddhist temples and spend their day chanting verses.
2. Bodhi trees are decorated with flowers and lamps are lit around the tree.
3. Some temples display statues of Buddha depicting his childhood and growing years. The statues are kept in water and decorated with fresh flowers.
4. During Vesak or Buddha Purnima, devotees pay special attention and follow the five principles taught by Lord Buddha, called ‘Panchsheel’.
5. Practice meditation.
6. One can also dress up in white or saffron robes and eat vegetarian food.
7. Since the day is about freedom and humanity, caged animals and birds should be set free.
8. People donate food, clothes, money or other useful goods to the needy.
9. Kheer (Sweet Rice Pudding) is cooked and served to the poor.