Date: 27th September 2019
Shivratri Timings: 12:05 AM to 12:54 AM, Sep 28
Ashwina, Krishna Chaturdashi
Begins - 07:32 AM, Sep 27
Ends - 03:46 AM, Sep 28
Masik Shivratri is celebrated every month on the Chaturdashi Tithi during Krishna Paksha, the fourteenth day of the lunar month. It is a festival of the coming together of Lord Shiva and Shakti. The day is dedicated to the worship of Lord Shiva.
Masik Shivratri Fast
Devotees of Lord Shiva observe a fast (Vrat) on Masik Shivratri from morning to night and conclude the fast next day in the morning.
Following are the food items that can be consumed during the Masik Shivratri fast:
1. Samak ke chawal
2. Kuttu Ke Paranthe
3. Fruit Salad
4. Kuttu Ki puri
5. Potato Fries
6. Mashed Sabudana
7. Sukhi Arbi
8. Sev Tamatar Ki Sabji
Masik Shivratri Observance
1. Shiv Puja at home in the morning and night
2. Visiting temples dedicated to Lord Shiva
3. Chanting Lord Shiva mantras especially Om Namah Shivaya and Maha Mrityunjaya mantras
4. Keeping a vigil at night
Masik Shivratri Puja Vidhi
1. Devotees take bath in holy water
2. Set up the Puja altar
3. Perform Abhishek of Lord Shiva idol or Shivling (For Abhishek use: Gangajal, milk, curd, ghee, honey, turmeric powder, vibhuti (ash), rosewater and other fragrant materials)
4. If idol of Lord Shiva or Shivling is not available, a picture of Lord Shiva can be adorned with sandalwood paste, vermillion, and flowers.
5. Offer incense sticks, blow the conch shell, ring bells, offer Prasad made at home, coconut, bel leaves and flowers.
6. At the end of the Puja, perform aarti and conclude with prayers.
7. Offer bhoj to Brahmin priests.